I’ve already mentioned how precious this wood is to me, so cutting it gives me the fits! (I had images of the two planks I’ll be using, but I seemed to have erased them from the camera before I uploaded to the computer…sigh.)
Here’s the Elm that will be used for the cabinet:
These planks are “Flitch cut” meaning that they are the full width of the tree, so I have raw edges on each side. The Elm and Dosié also have boring insect holes in the sap wood. Fortunately, no insects!
Because the cabinet is basically made up of four frames with panels, I will work to cut the Elm to provide as much straight grained wood as possible. So I’ll work from the edges (just past the bugs) towards the center.
The first cut gets rid if the buggy raw edge. Then I ripped out the giant split in the middle of the plank.
I had hoped I could get all the frames out of just one side of the plank, but I had to cut into the other side. The center of the plank had a lot of medular ray pattern that didn’t match the rest. It looks real nice — kind of like Sycamore — but won’t fit in. (If I can remember, I’ll take a picture & put it in the next post.)
Here’s the Elm cut in strips:
I have the pieces repositioned pretty much the way they came off the plank.
Next step is to mill the Elm to thickness (9/16″) and width (1-1/8″, 1-1/2″). Some of the wood’s grain doesn’t run parallel to the cut so I needed to “straighten” it out:
Before I cut the rails & stiles to length, I laid up a sample of the door to see how it worked with the stand:
I looked at this setup for an afternoon. It looked fine, but I slept on it. Next day, I made a modest change — 1/2″ off the length of the rails (BTW, rails are the horizontal pieces and stiles are the verticals. I was doing woodworking a couple of years before I learned the difference.)
It’s not much of a change, but I liked it better so I proceeded to cut the frames.
Ok, here’s the quartered Elm showing the ray pattern: