Three-four months ago I got a call from a gallery in Carmel-by-the-Sea (Calif.) interested in showing my coffee table.
The Gallery had seen the table at my website & liked it very much. Of course the table on the web had been sold over a year ago. But because I like the design, I was working on making another one. I had the top veneered and the edge trimmed in Liptus vs Mahogany. The legs were rough cut and fitted with mounting hardware so there wasn’t a lot left to do. Only problem was the all the work I had in front of it that was already overdue.
I finally got it finished a week ago & delivered.
This is my third construction of this table and each time I try to figure out a better way to mount the legs. Previously, I used a specially shaped loose tenon plus #14×3-1/2″ wood screws (about the size of a lag bolt–big!) to secure/align the legs to the table. This time I used threaded inserts in the legs and 1/4-20 x 3″ socket head machine screws. I feel much better having a metal to metal connections.
This angle best shows my attempt at making the leg look disconnected from the table.
Finish on this piece was more work than the previous tables. The Makoré panel is sprayed with shellac to bring out the mottling. Then sprayed with Waterbased topcoats — General Finishes’ Poly. All this after the top is trimmed to size but before I apply the Liptus edge. The Liptus has a light stain because in it’s natural state, it’s too light and too pink for the Makoré panel. To spray the stain, I had to mask off the panel, spray light coats of stain, then sealer, then topcoat. Sanding between coats. Next I removed the masking and sprayed the whole piece with the General Finishes Poly topcoat. Unfortunately, I got an uneven spray on the panel. To remedy that & to not get too much of a build on the Liptus, I had to mask off the Liptus, sand the Makoré panel, and respray the panel. It worked out well.
The Maple legs sprayed easier than the last table’s legs which were Birch. Before, I had problems with glue joints telegraphing through the top. I had used regular wood glue and I think it creeped. This time I used Urea glue — the kind you mix with water. Urea is a pretty rigid & brittle glue that is not supposed to creep. The waterbased black enamel layed down really nice and smooth, and with a fast build. I think I have only four or five coats total of finish.