With the Pendant done, it’a back to the Gehry Chairs.
A couple of posts back, I talked about getting these chairs in for repair and not being sure I wanted to do them. One chair has 2 glue failures, and the other has 14 failed joints. And “joint” is used loosely here. There is no real joinery involved. All the connections are held together with glue. The curves are all bent laminations of about (8) 1/32″ strips of maple per 1/4″ thick strip. Where two pieces “connect”, they are held together with a thermo set glue (like a hot polyurethane glue) But $$ is a driving force in these times, so I said i would try to fix them. I used regular aliphatic wood glue.
First step was to mark all the failed joints
Then I try to scrape off all the old glue. This isn’t easy! It’s difficult to get to many of the joints: some in the back are blocked by other strips of wood. those on the bottom of the chair don’t have a lot of flex to them. the glue is like Gorilla Glue: it’s a little soft and flexible plus it gums up sand paper real fast. Where I could, I used a scraper or a small chisel.
Finally, I glued up one or two joints at a time and left the clamps on overnight. One fear was that I would be able to squeeze a clamp between wood strips on clamp-up, but not be able to get it out when the glue dried. Fortunately, it never happened.
Click on images for a little more info.