Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for February, 2010

I don’t have any pictures of the cabinet work, so here’s a rendering from my CAD program, Vectorworks.

Rendered image of the Granite Computer station

A couple of changes since the drawing include replacing the four small drawers with two pull out shelves for books, and back panels for the whole thing.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Granite/Marble cut for the computer's Desktop

I’d say where this computer station is from, but my client (a good friend) might read it.  I won’t say how long I’ve been working on it — off & on, but we’ve had at least one change of Administrations since I started.

The cabinet work is pretty straight forward. It’s 13’6″ long and about 32″ high. Built low to the ground to give as much usable height as possible. It sits under a bank of windows. There are 9 drawers and 6 pull out shelves including a pull out keyboard tray with special drop front. Wood is Cherry solids & plys. Finish is a cherry wine stain from WD Lockwood under a Bartley’s Pennsylvania Cherry gel stain. Top coat is General Finishes Enduro Poly.

The cabinetry has been done for a while. It’s the top that is causing my night sweats. The picture above shows the Granite and Marble that has been cut to resemble a river flowing. (I didn’t do the stone.)  My job now is to make a frame around the stone that fits snugly against all the curves. The frame is 8/4 cherry planed to 1-11/16″ thick.  Did I mention it’s 163″ long and fits between two walls?

The pictures to follow show the process to make the pattern I’ll use to cut the inside of the frame. Click on images to get more info

Now, I don’t know if it’s real clear why I made two patterns. The first pattern is an exact replica of the stone. Because I use 1/2″ flush trim router bits, I have to reduce that first pattern by 1/2″ all around. Then I tack it onto the second pattern blank. The second pattern’s outside is the exact size of the desk top. I position the 1st pattern exactly where I want the stone to sit within the final cherry desk top (the frame). When I rout the 2nd pattern. the 1/2″ flush trim bit follows the first pattern as it cuts away waste on the 2nd pattern. the bit also removes 1/2″ more mdf from the 2nd pattern than the size of the first pattern. If I don’t reduce the 1st pattern by 1/2″, then the 2nd pattern will have a 1/2″ trough between it and the stone. Not a snug fit at all.

All clear now?  (Like mud?)

Next time I’ll show the cherry frame work.

Read Full Post »

With the Pendant done, it’a back to the Gehry Chairs.

Frank Gehry "Cross Check" arm chair

Frank Gehry "Cross Check" arm chair

A couple of posts back, I talked about getting these chairs in for repair and not being sure I wanted to do them. One chair has 2 glue failures, and the other has 14 failed joints. And “joint” is used loosely here. There is no real joinery involved. All the connections are held together with glue. The curves are all bent laminations of about (8) 1/32″ strips of maple per 1/4″ thick strip.  Where two pieces “connect”, they are held together with a thermo set glue (like a hot polyurethane glue) But $$ is a driving force in these times, so I said i would try to fix them. I used regular aliphatic wood glue.

First step was to mark all the failed joints

Then I try to scrape off all the old glue. This isn’t easy! It’s difficult to get to many of the joints: some in the back are blocked by other strips of wood. those on the bottom of the chair don’t have a lot of flex to them. the glue is like Gorilla Glue: it’s a little soft and flexible plus it gums up sand paper real fast. Where I could, I used a scraper or a small chisel.

Finally, I glued up one or two joints at a time and left the clamps on overnight. One fear was that I would be able to squeeze a clamp between wood strips on clamp-up, but not be able to get it out when the glue dried. Fortunately, it never happened.

Click on images for a little more info.

Read Full Post »

The pendant-11 is finished and gone. A shipping guy from L.A. came this morning to pick it up.  The lamp is so large (long) that I assume it gets crated & shipped rather than just boxed in cardboard boxes. But I’m not sure. At one time a local moving company custom-made cardboard boxes to fit the P-11. (For the P-3 & P-7, I have packaging I buy from Uline for boxing them up.

A few more pictures show some finishing & wiring. Click on the images to bring up explanations.

Read Full Post »