Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for January, 2010

More picts on Pendant-11

A few more pictures on the P-11. These show the assembled Outriggers and Light boxes.

There are some intermediate steps where I didn’t take pictures. Sometimes I forget, other times I just need to “get-er-done”.  Currently, everything is assembled and I’ve sprayed a stain and sealer. Toner is next, then top coat.

I’ll try to get some picts of the spray setup.

Read Full Post »

I’ve got one of the Gehry chairs glued up (did I say this already?) but the other is on hold while I work on a Pendant-11. The Pendant was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright around 1910-15 (??) I’m not sure. There are three sizes: P-3, P-7, & P-11. The eleven is 87″ long so it needs a really high ceiling.

Pendant7 hanging lamp by Frank Lloyd Wright

Pendant-7 "chandelier" designed by FLLW

This picture shows the P-7. The number indicates the number of lights. Bulbs are behind the rectangular boxes. The square reflectors are painted blue on the bulb side presumably to keep the color balance of the lamp from being extremely warm. The central columns’ edges are painted “red” (Looks like “Safety Orange to me) and the light boxes are red on one edge and blue on the other.

Pictures to follow hopefully show a little bit about how it’s built. Click on a pict for a description. Sorry these pictures aren’t as large as some of my others.

Read Full Post »

Frank Gehry Chair Repair

I got an interesting job this week. A lady calls and says she has two bentwood chairs with some loose joints, and will I glue them back together. Well, I’m thinking a cafe chair with cane seat & steam bent back & legs so I say “Sure”

What she brings me is this:

Frank Gehry "Cross Check" arm chair

Frank Gehry "Cross Check" arm chair

It’s bent wood alright! There’s not a single joint or fastener on the chair. Everything is held together by glue alone. One chair has 14 failed glue joints, the other only 2. Glue used is called “thermoset assembly adhesive”– probably a Polyurathane Reactive glue or PUR but I don’t really know. these glue applicators run from $125 to $450.

After researching the chair (it retails for $4700) I’m not sure I want to do it. But she’s game for me using regular glue. we’ll see what happens.

Read Full Post »

I took a little time off at xmas to make some toys for my grandsons. I haven’t done anything like this for a few years. It seems I’m always trying to get some piece of furniture or a lamp  out the door at the last minute & never have the extra time for “frivolities”.

This year, though, I got lamps done only a week late (see earlier posts) and my other project is already over a year late so a few more days won’t matter.

I found this great picture of a catapult on the web that I figured I could make in a couple of days. (HAH!) All went well until I dry assembled the piece and my ammunition (a cotton ball) shot straight forward about 1-1/2 feet and rolled across the floor. It took a few redesigns of the catapult arm and basket before I finally got a really nice arc to the ball. The kids seemed to enjoy them — don’t know if the parents will.  The secret seems to be the size of the basket. Mine is a cut down plastic Easter egg hot glued onto the arm. The basket is very shallow allowing the ball to leave the arm early in the arc. I also have the arm angled back about 15°, but I don’t know if that really makes any difference. The spring I used is probably too strong. When I release the catapult arm and it hits the uprights, it really WHACKS. I started out with rubber bands but because the arc was nill, I switched them out too. Anyway, as you may be able to tell, the catapults shoot pretty well.

My other home-made gift was a “Bug Bot”. This is a little motorized critter that scoots along the floor & changes direction when it hits a wall, etc. I only made one; for my oldest grandson, Michael who is 10. Jalin is 3 but he really liked it too. Problem is, when Jalin played with the Bug Bot and it got caught under the stove/refrigerator/buffet, he would just abandon it (with batteries on & wheels turning).  The switches & antennae are a bit fragile so this toy may not last too long.

It was really fun to make. In fact I had hoped to set it up as a “kit” so Michael could do some of the work of construction. But it was difficult enough for me so I abandoned that idea. The plans came from Make Magazine. They have a great podcast you can download from iTunes. all the parts I got from Radio Shack

Read Full Post »